So, it’s been a long time since I posted anything, but I have been busy working on projects that might be of interest.
The biggest one is the retrofitting of the hanging tomato frame I built. I tired using these over the last two years and have come to the conclusion that they are indeed totally and utter garbage.
Not only do the plants not grow anywhere near as vigorously than those planted in the traditional method, but after two years of use, most of the bags have totally disintegrated due to exposure to UV from the sun.
Now, you might be thinking that I wasted a lot of material just building the frame that I no longer have a use for. I considered the failure of the bags and what to do with the frame should this be the outcome. I built it knowing I could use it to grow something else; cucumbers.
By using pressure treated 1X4s, I enclosed the base of the frame, I filled it with a soil mixture and planted seeds.
From each of the rings used to hand the tomato grow bags I ran a heavy string all the way down to just 1” above the soil in the base.
Once the plants started to grow, it was an easy matter to wrap the plant around the line.
In some areas, it became apparent that I needed more lines. This was easily accomplished by running another line supported in between to rings.
Here are the results after a few weeks.